South West Psychiatry Winter School Wednesday 26th January 2022
Are you a junior doctor keen to learn more about a career in psychiatry? We are running a FREE event that will give you a valuable insight into the speciality, with a packed programme of tutorials and networking opportunities.
- Top tips on the application process
- Find out what life is like as a core trainee, higher trainee and consultant
- Meet current trainees and consultants from a range of sub-specialities
This one day event will be held virtually via zoom. To book a place please email:
email@example.com (the deadline for applications extended)
This event has been made possible by the kind support of the Royal College of Psychiatrists and the Severn Deanery.
Foundation elearning programme update January 2022
The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) are central to inpatient care. The MCA protects the rights of vulnerable people and this group of sessions cover topics such as assessing capacity, consent, patient autonomy and safeguarding.
Available in elearning for healthcare’s Foundation Programme (2021 curriculum) - these sessions cover areas in your curriculum on; FPC 1: Clinical Assessment, FPC 2: Clinical Prioritisation, FPC 3: Holistic Planning, FPC 4: Communication and Care, FPC 5: Continuity of Care, FPC 6: Sharing the Vision and FPC 11: Ethics and Law:
- Assessing Mental Capacity
- Planning Ahead Using the MCA
- Best Interests
- Deprivation of Liberty
- Patient Autonomy and Related Ethics
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
- Confidentiality and Privacy
- Keeping the Patient at the Centre of Care
- Seeing the Whole Picture
- Family Dynamics Affecting Discharge
You can sign in to the elearning with your login supplied by elearning for healthcare during your foundation training.
Horus and Turas have deep links to elearning for healthcare sessions from the Foundation curriculum and therefore accessible to all trainees, making it quicker and easier to access the appropriate session linked to the curriculum.
Introduction to Paediatrics course
Please note this course has been rearranged due to Covid, and will now take place on 19th April Cost: £149.
Are you a Foundation Doctor or Clinical Fellow interested in a career in Paediatrics?
We are running a one-day, practical course, providing simulations of common Paediatric and Neonatal condition, practical skills teaching, opportunities to talk to current Paediatric trainees, and information about application.
The course will include:
- Simulation scenarios of
common Paediatric and
- Paediatric-specific skills
- Talks from current
- Tips on applications
The Association for Palliative Medicine Juniors committee upcoming webinar series focusing on palliative care in non-malignant diseases.
The Association for Palliative Medicine Juniors committee are excited to announce our upcoming webinar series focusing on palliative care in non-malignant diseases. The aim of this series is to enable junior doctors to understand the unique challenges when managing patients with these conditions approaching the end of life. These sessions will provide attendees with an excellent knowledge base to care for these patients in clinical practice. The webinars will cover the following topics:
- Palliative care in neurological disorders - Bookings open via: https://apmeducationhub.org/events/palliative-care-in-neurological-disorders/
- Palliative care in chronic liver disease - Bookings open via: https://apmeducationhub.org/events/palliative-care-liver-disease/
- Palliative care in heart failure - Bookings open via: https://apmeducationhub.org/events/palliative-care-heart-failure/
- Palliative care in chronic kidney disease -Bookings open via: https://apmeducationhub.org/events/palliative-care-kidney-disease/
- Palliative care in COPD and interstitial lung disease – Bookings opening soon
- Palliative care in dementia and frailty – Bookings opening soon
Bookings are now open for the first four webinars, with all the webinars being free of charge. If you are unable to make the live session, you can sign up for access to the recording. Book your spaces today via the links above.
National Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Poster Competition 2022
Deadline 9th March 2022 - see competition details and online entry form here:
Successful entries receive:
- An invitation to give a live oral poster presentation* at our national conference on 18th May 2022
- A discounted delegate rate of £159 (no VAT). Co-authors will also qualify for the discounted rate.
- A national poster competition oral presentation certificate with names of presenter(s) and authors
- There will be a first and second prize for each themed poster group
* 2-minute oral presentation followed by judge-led Q&A
Who should apply?: junior doctors, nurses, midwives, consultants, AHPs, GPs, medical students and those working in care settings among others
- QI in progress
- Full QIP
Conference programme to be announced shortly includes national speakers and workshops run by QI and Patient Safety experts.
FAO FY2 Trainees: Medical Scholarships 2022
The British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology (BSACI) are generously offering scholarships for medical trainees in the UK to attend the World Allergy Organization (WAO) & BSACI 2022 UK Conference in Edinburgh from 25th-27th April 2022.
To increase awareness and interest in Allergy as a specialty, BSACI is offering up to 10 scholarships for 2nd yr. Foundation Programme, Internal Medicine and Paediatric ST1-3 trainees in the UK to attend the WAO & BSACI Conference next year.
Information about the meeting and scholarships can be found at https://wao-bsaci.org/abstracts-and-awards/
Details of the award:
1. Open to all Foundation year 2, Internal Medicine and Paediatric Trainees (up to ST3) with an interest in or considering a career in Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
2. Up to £700 to cover conference fees, hotel accommodation and travel expenses.
3. The application involves supplying a 300-word statement detailing why the applicant would benefit from this scholarship with a supporting letter from their current supervisor. Please also include how you can help increase awareness of the speciality of allergy either within your department or with other trainees after the conference, such as a grand round presentation, a trainee learning event or a department meeting.
4. Abstract submission for the conference is encouraged but is not a requirement.
5. Deadline for submissions is Monday 28th February 2022
6. You will be notified of the outcome of your application on Monday 7th March 2022
If you or any of your colleagues have any questions or require any further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0207 501 3910.
Call for Open Paper & Poster Abstract Submissions - NES Annual Virtual Conference 2022
We are now inviting abstract submissions for an open paper or poster for the NES Annual Virtual Conference 2022.
We invite submissions in the following categories:
- Training delivery
- Simulated and online learning
- New perspectives and novel methods in education and training
- Careers - structure and support
- Interprofessional education
Deadline for submission: Midnight, Wednesday 23 February 2022
Successful abstracts will be announced by Wednesday 16 March 2022.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
STARSurg CASCADE Study - Opportunity for Trainees
This year STARSurg is running the CASCADE study, an international, multi-centre audit, aiming to audit pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative audit standards around cardiovascular complications following major abdominal surgery.
If interested, please fill in the sign-up form: https://forms.gle/pDqX9W7GUGdLEPVM9
Please find more information about this opportunity in the following link: https://starsurg.org/cascade-hub/