What type of programmes are available?
Foundation Programmes in the Severn Foundation School are all two years in duration (excluding stand alone appointments). Both the F1 and F2 year comprise three placements of four months.
Our programmes are a mixture of two years in the same Trust; and F1 in one Trust with F2 in another. Foundation doctors do not move between Trusts during the year, although they may undertake community placements (e.g. Psychiatry, General Practice).
Who employs the Foundation Doctors?
For both F1 and F2, an acute Trust will act as lead Trust and employer for the whole year. This is the Trust where foundation doctors are based for the majority of their programme. This arrangement is particularly important for foundation doctors undertaking placements in general practice, as indemnity will be provided by the acute Trust.
Where can details of programmes/posts be found?
Details of programmes can be found here.
Do you have programmes which include community placements?
Will there be programmes in academic medicine?
Yes, we have programmes incorporating academic medicine at F2. These programmes will be recruited to in advance of the main application process. Further details can be found on our Specialised Foundation Programmes webpage.
What if the programme allocated does not contain the specialty a foundation doctor wishes to pursue as a career?
Foundation doctors should not worry if they don’t secure exactly the foundation programme of their choice. The placements will not have a direct bearing on their chances of getting into a specific specialty training programme. Foundation doctors should ensure that they can demonstrate commitment through other means, for example taster days, arranging their own observations, meetings with consultants, courses, research.
Do you allow swaps?
Severn F1s are allocated to a two year programme when appointed. To offer some flexibility in its allocation of programmes whilst ensuring programmes are balanced, the Severn Foundation School facilitates a swap process whereby F1 doctors can apply for a swap of their matched F2 rotation. This will be managed in conjunction with the F2 Special Circumstances, F2 Overseas and Time Out of Foundation Programme application processes. Please see the F2 Swaps Policy webpage for more information.
Which Trusts are in the Severn Foundation School?
- Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Cheltenham General & Gloucestershire Royal Hospitals)
- Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Great Western Hospital)
- North Bristol NHS Trust (Southmead Hospital)
- Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Trust (Royal United Hospital)
- Somerset NHS Foundation Trust (Musgrove Park Hospital)
- University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (Bristol Royal Infirmary & Weston General Hospital)
- Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (Yeovil District Hospital)
- Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
- 2gether NHS Foundation Trust
- Somerset Partnership NHS and Social Care Trust
Further details (including Trust Profiles and links to Trust websites) can be found on the Trusts webpage.