Foundation Doctor Cardiothoracic Education Programme
The Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland has established a new national teaching programme for foundation doctors covering key topics in cardiothoracic surgery that also bear some cross-over to other specialties such as respiratory, cardiology, paediatrics, and intensive care.
The teaching sessions happen every Monday at 19:00 via Zoom, commencing 25th July and running for 20 weeks. The sessions are free to attend but require prior registration. A certificate of attendance will be provided.
Foundation doctors can register here.
25.07.22 Coronary Heart Disease
01.08.22 Lung Cancer
08.08.22 Aortic Valve Disease
15.08.22 Surgical Management of COPD
Doctors Academy Core Surgical Training Mentorship Programme
If you are applying to Core Surgical Training 2023, please take a look at this FREE application and mentorship programme with Doctors Academy. It will commence from 18 August 2022 and over the subsequent months your assigned mentor will provide invaluable feedback and guidance relating to the application process.
Please click this link to register.
RCPsych South West Division Prizes and Bursaries Autumn 2022
RCPysch are delighted to announce that the following prizes are now open to entrants. Further information, regulations and entry forms can be accessed via their Prizes and Bursaries web page.
DR STEPHEN DINNISS FOUNDATION AND MEDICAL STUDENTS POSTER PRIZE
Foundation year doctors and medical students are invited to submit a poster and abstract on any aspect of psychiatry. The poster will be displayed at the Autumn Biannual Meeting on 11 November 2022 and the abstract published in the Programme and Abstracts booklet, with a prize of £100 for the winner.
Deadline for submission: 30 September 2022 at 9.00 am
AUTUMN BIANNUAL MEETING BURSARY
We are offering up to 10 bursaries for south west medical students and foundation year doctors to present a poster at the South West Autumn Biannual Meeting on 11 November 2022. All entrants (up to two per submission) will be guests of the Executive Committee and must register for the meeting but will not be charged a conference fee. Bursaries for medical students also include travel expenses.
These competitions are an opportunity to share your experience of mental health services and psychiatry with colleagues of all levels around the region who will be attending the meeting, with the added bonus of possibly winning a prize!
Foundation elearning programme update July 2022
The Foundation elearning programme has been developed specifically for Foundation doctors by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges in partnership with Health Education England elearning for healthcare (HEE elfh) and is approved by the UK Foundation Programme (UKFPO).
Supervised learning events (SLEs) are an essential part of your learning in your foundation years. Even if you think you know how to get the best out of them, you may still get more by doing the SLE sessions now.
Available in the elfh Foundation Programme (2021 curriculum), relevant elearning sessions cover areas in your curriculum on FPC 10: Teaching the teacher and FPC 12: Continuing Professional Development:
· Supervised Learning Events in the Foundation Programme: An Introduction https://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Component/Details/706193
· Principles of Assessment https://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Component/Details/706189
· Making the Best Use of Multi-Source Feedback: A Trainee Guide https://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Component/Details/706197
· Getting the Most from Direct Observation of Procedural Skills (DOPS) https://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Component/Details/706201
· Getting the Most from a Case Based Discussion (CBD) https://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Component/Details/706205
· Getting the Most from a Mini-Clinical Evaluation Exercise (Mini-CEX) https://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Component/Details/706209
· Getting the Most Out of Supervised Learning Events: Feedback and Reflection https://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Component/Details/706213
· Getting the Most Out of Supervised Learning Events: Reflection After Feedback https://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Component/Details/706217
Check the programme to see other sessions that might help you.
HORUS and TURAS have deep links to elfh sessions from the Foundation Curriculum and are therefore accessible to all trainees, making it quicker and easier to access the appropriate session linked to the curriculum.
Health Education England South West Multi-Professional Educational Conference - 14 October 2022
Submission deadline Friday 2nd September 2022
The aim of this inaugural hybrid educational conference is to re-connect educators from the multi-professional arena across the South West, to enable working together for a better future in healthcare practice and education.
The Conference will provide you with examples of best practice linked to key strategic intent and our day-to-day work and includes the following themes: Equality Diversity & Inclusion, Well-being & Professional Support, along with Simulation, VR & Digital Technology in Education. The day will involve bringing together clinicians, educators, and experts in their field(s) for a day of talks, discussions and networking. There will be plenary sessions, instructional courses, and workshops with a diverse range of topics to satisfy a variety of educational needs. There will also be the opportunity for poster presentations from both trainers/educators and learners across all the multi-professional fields.
As a hybrid event, there is the opportunity to attend virtually or face-to-face, which will hopefully enable networking across the region again.
Bookings will be subject to approval from Health Education England, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your booking request and once approved you will receive a full confirmation.
This conference will enable you to:
- Network with educators and colleagues across the South West who are working to improve for a better future in healthcare practice and education
- Learn from clinicians and educators in their fields of expertise
- Develop your knowledge and skills in diverse range of topics to satisfy a variety of educational needs
- Reflect on Equality Diversity and Inclusion national and regional developments and learning
- Understand strategies how you can improve your Support and Wellbeing
- Ensure you are up to date with the latest Simulation and Digital Technology to support education and learning
- Self assess and reflect on your own practice
- Supports CPD professional development and acts as revalidation evidence. This course provides 5 Hrs training for CPD subject to peer group approval for revalidation purposes
We are opening part of the 2022 conference to abstracts, with in person poster presentations from invited speakers being a major part of the event. There are two types of presentation: in person poster presentation in the exhibition area at the conference and e-poster presentations.
For more information and to register, please visit the conference website.