Reminder: Skin of Colour Education Survey Request
Skin of colour is under-represented in dermatology education and research. The curriculum at the University of Bristol was recently adapted to include more teaching on skin of colour. Completing this short survey (less than 5 minutes) on skin of colour will help inform the University of Bristol on the effectiveness of the teaching programme. Your answers will remain anonymous.
Please click on this link to access the survey: https://meded.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/skin-of-colour-bristol-student-survey
Dr Eliza Hutchison (IMT1 trainee in UHBW NHS Foundation Trust)
Dr Hannah Wainman (Consultant Dermatologist and Dermatology Lead for the MB ChB Medical Undergraduate Programme and Champion for the Inclusion of Skin of Colour University of Bristol)
Medical Women's Federation Virtual Spring Conference - 17th March 2023
"Empowerment: Driving Change and Development in Medicine"
When: Friday 17th of March 2023, from 10.00am – 4:30pm, Virtual
The Medical Women's Federation would like to invite you to the MWF Spring Conference 2023. This national conference is a platform for inspiring medical minds to meet, stimulate new thinking and extend professional relationships.
At the Spring Conference, a range of topics will be explored including:
- Celebrating the achievements of medical women and inspiring the next generation
- Career Fulfillment
- Live Interactive Podcast on Money Mindset and Self Worth
- Flexible working and SAS careers
- Dr Olamide Dada - Founder, Melanin Medics
- Susie Edwards - Director of WonderIf, www.wonderif.co.uk
- Harriet Waley - Cohen- Multi award-winning speaker, experienced leadership coach and mentor
- Dr Nikki Ramskill- GP and money coach for women
- Professor Partha Kar- Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology at Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust
Panel Discussion: How to be the future NHS workforce: Flexible Working and NHS Careers?
- Dr Robert Fleming, Specialty Doctor (SAS) Anaesthetist at Sherwood Forest Hospitals
- Professor Kamila Hawthorne MBE, Chair of the Royal College of Practitioners
- Dr Angharad Davies, Consultant Microbiologist at Swansea
- Professor Partha Kar OBE, Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology at Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust
- Dr Vaishali Parulekar, conference chair of the BMA SAS committee
£20 - MWF Members
£35 - Non-Members
MWF are using the MedAll platform to host the conference. To register, please click here.
If you have any issues registering with the MedAll app, you can be manually registered to attend the conference. Please email email@example.com
Call for Abstracts
The Medical Women’s Federation (MWF) invites the submission of Oral Abstracts and Poster abstracts for presentation at its Spring conference. The MWF is committed to creating a platform for inspiring medical minds to meet, stimulate new thinking and extend professional relationships.
Deadline: Sunday 26th February 2023 at midnight
For more details, click here
eLearning for Healthcare February Foundation Update: Clinical Incidents
Welcome to your February 2023 update from the Foundation elearning programme. This month focuses on what happens and what you should do if you are involved in a clinical incident.
The reality is that sometimes errors will occur in medical practice. From exploring how things can go wrong, to ensuring that clinical incidents are reported, the following sessions use case studies and key subject areas to address the principal steps to take when dealing with a clinical incident.
- GMC Registration and Post Graduate Observation
- Human Factors and Analysis of Adverse Events
- Medical Error: When Things Go Wrong
- Ethics and law
- Hospital Acquired Fever: What to do if MRSA Positive
- Hospital Acquired Fever with MRSA: What to do Next
- Infection Control: Diarrhoea in an Inpatient
- Infection Control: Air and Blood Borne Pathogens
- Infection Control: Modes of Transmission
The Foundation elearning programme has been developed specifically for Foundation doctors by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges in partnership with Health Education England elearning for healthcare (HEE elfh), and is approved by the UK Foundation Programme (UKFPO).
National Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Poster Competition 2023: Last Call for Abstracts
Present at the 10th anniversary conference of the Bristol Patient Safety Conference!
Deadline 3rd March 2023 - see competition details and online entry form here: http://www.bristolpatientsafety.com/poster-competition.html
There are up to 160 poster places at this online conference. Successful entries receive:
- An invitation to give a live oral poster presentation* at a national conference on 17th May 2023.
- A discounted delegate rate of £169 (no VAT). Co-authors will also qualify for the discounted rate.
- A national poster competition presentation certificate with names of presenter(s) and authors
There will be a first prize and runner up for each themed poster group
* 2-minute oral presentation followed by judge-led Q&A
Who should apply?: Junior doctors, nurses, midwives, consultants, AHPs, GPs, physician associates, foundation doctors, medical students and those working in care settings among others
Call for Foundation Doctor volunteers: RCPCHStart Assessments March 2023
RCPCHStart is the ‘Speciality Trainee Assessment of Readiness for Tenure’ as a Consultant and is a formative assessment which trainees must do their ST7 training year. That is the penultimate year of their training and allows them to identify areas for development in their final year before they complete their training and enter the specialist register as a Paediatrician.
One area assessed is teaching skills. In order for trainees to demonstrate these we have successfully included a scenario where the trainee has to teach medical students/foundation doctors in real time during the 8 minutes of that station on a paediatric topic.
The assessment takes place virtually on the 14th, 16th, 21st and 31st March 2023. Foundation doctors with an interest in paediatrics are invited to help out with the am or pm sessions (or both where possible) on those days, and RCPCH will send a certificate after the assessment has taken place, confirming the number of days that you took part.
Timings will be approximately: 08.30-13:00 and 13:30-17:30 on each day, but we will be able to confirm exactly nearer the time.
If you or anyone else you know would be interested in volunteering, please let us know as soon as possible and we can provide further details: Training.Services@rcpch.ac.uk.