South West Academic Unit of Application (Peninsula and Severn)
Expenses Policy for Applicants Attending AFP Interviews
- This policy applies to all applicants attending an interview for an academic foundation training programme post across the United Kingdom (UK).
- The AUoA will ensure compliance with this policy and only reimburse expense claims in accordance with this policy.
- Applicants will only be able to claim expenses from port of entry to the UK.
- Applicants should ensure that they keep a copy of their expense claim form before submitting it, including copies of any receipts.
- Expenses will be reimbursed to a maximum of £100 (or £150 where the claim includes overnight accommodation and has been approved in advance by the AUoA).
- Expense claims will be sent for payment on the condition that applicants are offered and accept a post, are considered appointable and are not offered or are considered unappointable. Applicants declining posts will not have their expense claims processed.
Applicants must ensure that they travel to their interview in the most cost-effective manner. Where possible, the claimant should ensure they book an interview slot that: -
- Negates the need for an overnight stay the night before the interview.
- Allows for the most cost-effective travel options, e.g. off-peak rail ticket.
Where travel is required, this should be by the most cost effective and appropriate means of transport. Public transport should always be considered first; however, it is recognised that there are times when it is not possible to use public transport.
- Train tickets should be booked as far in advance as possible.
- Travel should be standard class only, unless a first-class ticket can be purchased at a cheaper rate than standard class. In this instance, evidence of this should be attached to the expense claim.
Travel within London
Congestion charge will not be reimbursed.
Underground costs will be reimbursed if using an Oyster Card and the card is registered and a printout can be provided; or
Where contactless payment is used, and a copy of a bank statement can be provided to show the payment.
Underground paper day tickets will not be reimbursed.
Taxi fares will only be reimbursed where there are no other forms of public transport to and from the location of the interview.
Use of Personal Vehicles
- Mileage will be reimbursed between home address and interview venue and return, at the current NHS rate per mile.
- AUoAs will check mileage claimed to ensure that it is correct.
- Parking costs will be reimbursed upon production of a valid receipt or parking ticket.
- Toll fees will not be reimbursed.
- Reimbursement of any penalty imposed under the Road Traffic Act incurred whilst travelling to interview will not be paid.
Subsistence will not be paid.
Overnight accommodation will only be reimbursed where approval has been sought from the AUoA, prior to booking. Please contact AcademicFoundation.SW@hee.nhs.uk to obtain approval.
A copy of the approval to reimburse for overnight accommodation should be attached to the expense claim.
If the above criteria are not met, this will result in the claim being rejected.
Expense claim forms must be received by the AUoA no later than 28 calendar days after the interview. Claim forms received after this time will not be processed.
Summary of Policy
|Maximum Allowable Claim||
(£150 where overnight accommodation is included)
Underground travel; Oyster Card with printout or contactless payment with printout
Mileage at the current NHS rate
Car parking with receipt
|Subsistence||Subsistence will not be reimbursed|
|Overnight accommodation||Only payable where approval has been sought in advance of booking from the appropriate recruitment office and the approval has been attached to the claim|
|Submission deadline||Expense claim forms must be received by the appropriate recruitment office no later than 28 calendar days after attendance at the interview|
How to claim
From 2019, the process for claiming expenses has changed, with all candidates required to submit their claims digitally via the Selenity online portal: https://heenon.sel-expenses.com
Guidance and policy documents can be found on the under Expenses on the following specialty training webpage: https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk/Resources-Bank Please ensure you read these documents before making a claim.