What type of programmes are available?
Foundation Programmes in the Severn Foundation School are all two years in duration (excluding stand alone appointments). Both the F1 and F2 year comprise three placements of four months.
Our programmes are a mixture of two years in the same Trust; and F1 in one Trust with F2 in another. Trainees do not move between Trusts during the year, although they may undertake community placements (eg Psychiatry, General Practice).
Who employs the Foundation Trainees?
For both F1 and F2, an acute Trust will act as lead Trust and employer for the whole year. This is the Trust where trainees are based for the majority of their programme. This arrangement is particularly important for trainees undertaking placements in general practice, as indemnity will be provided by the acute Trust.
Where can details of programmes/posts be found?
Details of 2018 programmes can be found here.
Do you have programmes which include community placements?
Will there be programmes in academic medicine?
Yes, we have programmes incorporating academic medicine at F2. These programmes will be recruited to in advance of the main application process. Further details can be found on our Academic Foundation Programmes webpage.
What if the programme allocated does not contain the specialty a trainee wishes to pursue as a career?
Trainees should not worry if they don’t secure exactly the foundation programme of their choice. The placements will not have a direct bearing on their chances of getting into a specific specialty training programme. Trainees should ensure that they can demonstrate commitment through other means, for example Tasters, arranging their own observations, meetings with consultants, courses, research.
Do you allow swaps?
Severn F1 trainees are allocated to a two year programme when appointed. The Foundation School Committee has decided that changing your programme allocation is not permitted, except in extraordinary circumstances. We have a pre-F2 Special Circumstances Policy to accommodate such situations.
Which Trusts are in the Severn Foundation School?
- Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Cheltenham General & Gloucestershire Royal Hospitals)
- Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Great Western Hospital)
- North Bristol NHS Trust (Southmead Hospital)
- Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Trust (Royal United Hospital)
- Taunton & Somerset NHS Foundation Trust (Musgrove Park Hospital)
- University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust (Bristol Royal Infirmary)
- Weston Area Health NHS Trust (Weston General Hospital)
- Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (Yeovil District Hospital)
- Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
- 2gether NHS Foundation Trust
- Somerset Partnership NHS and Social Care Trust
Further details (including Trust Profiles and links to Trust websites) can be found on the Trusts webpage.